Can You Use A Dependent Care Fsa To Pay Grandparents?

Caring for young children while juggling the demands of work can be incredibly challenging for working parents. If you’ve considered hiring your parents or in-laws as caregivers for your kids, you may be wondering whether you can use your dependent care flexible spending account (FSA) to pay them.

Using an FSA to pay grandparents for childcare can provide tax savings and help offset your childcare costs. However, not all grandparents will qualify under IRS rules.

If you’re short on time, here’s a quick answer: You may be able to use your dependent care FSA to reimburse grandparents for caring for your child, but only if they aren’t your dependents, don’t live with you, and provide care so you can work. The details matter, so read on to learn more.

In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explain FSA eligibility rules, how grandparents can qualify as childcare providers, and what expenses you can and can’t reimburse. We’ll also go over how to coordinate benefits with the child and dependent care tax credit. Let’s dive in.

Dependent Care FSA Overview

What is a Dependent Care FSA?

A Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) is a tax-advantaged benefit that allows employees to set aside pre-tax dollars to cover eligible dependent care expenses. It can be used to pay for childcare services, preschool, before and after-school programs, and summer day camps for dependents under the age of 13.

The purpose of a Dependent Care FSA is to help working parents save money on their childcare expenses and make it more affordable to balance work and family responsibilities.

FSA Contribution Limits

The contribution limit for a Dependent Care FSA is set by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and may change from year to year. For the current tax year, the maximum contribution limit is $5,000 for individuals or $2,500 for married couples filing separately.

It’s important to note that both parents in a dual-income household can contribute to their individual Dependent Care FSAs, allowing them to maximize their savings potential.

FSA Eligible Expenses

Dependent Care FSAs cover a wide range of eligible expenses related to the care of dependents. Some common eligible expenses include:

  • Childcare services provided by a licensed provider
  • Preschool or nursery school tuition
  • Before and after-school programs
  • Summer day camps
  • Daycare centers
  • Nanny or au pair services

It’s important to note that while a Dependent Care FSA covers a variety of expenses, there are certain costs that are not eligible. These include overnight camp expenses, education expenses for children over the age of 13, and expenses incurred for the care of an elderly dependent.

For more information on eligible expenses and guidelines for using a Dependent Care FSA, you can visit the IRS website at

Can You Use an FSA for Grandparent Caregivers?

Many families rely on the support of grandparents when it comes to caring for their children. Grandparents often play a vital role in providing love, care, and guidance to their grandchildren. But what if you want to use a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) to reimburse the expenses associated with your child’s care provided by grandparents?

Let’s explore the guidelines and regulations surrounding this topic.

Grandparent Caregiver Qualifications

While the IRS allows the use of an FSA for dependent care expenses, there are specific qualifications that must be met. Generally, the caregiver must be someone who is not the child’s parent and who provides care for the child while the parents are working or looking for work.

Unfortunately, this means that in most cases, using an FSA to pay grandparents for their caregiving services is not allowed. However, there may be exceptions to this rule depending on the circumstances.

It is advisable to consult with a tax professional or refer to IRS guidelines for more specific information.

Expenses You Can and Can’t Reimburse

Even if you can’t use an FSA to directly reimburse grandparents for their caregiving services, you may still be able to use it to cover certain expenses related to your child’s care. Allowable expenses typically include daycare centers, preschools, before and after-school programs, and in-home care provided by a licensed caregiver.

However, it’s important to note that expenses incurred for care provided by a family member, such as grandparents, are generally not eligible for reimbursement through an FSA.

It’s worth mentioning that the IRS does not specifically address the issue of reimbursing grandparents for caregiving services within the context of an FSA. Therefore, it is always a good idea to consult with a tax professional or refer to IRS guidelines for the most up-to-date and accurate information.

Coordinating with the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit

While using an FSA may not be an option for reimbursing grandparents for caregiving services, you may still be eligible for the Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit. This credit allows you to claim a percentage of the expenses paid for the care of your child, including expenses paid to a grandparent, as long as certain criteria are met.

The tax credit can provide additional financial relief for families who rely on grandparents for childcare.

Remember that tax laws and regulations can be complex and subject to change. It is always a good idea to consult with a tax professional or refer to IRS guidelines to ensure you are following the most current rules and regulations.

Claiming FSA Reimbursements for Grandparent Care

Many families rely on their grandparents to provide care for their children. If you have a dependent care Flexible Spending Account (FSA), you may be wondering if you can use it to pay your grandparents for their services.

While the rules regarding FSA reimbursements for grandparent care can vary, it is possible to utilize your FSA funds for this purpose.

Collect Required Documentation

Before submitting a claim for FSA reimbursement for grandparent care, it’s important to gather all the necessary documentation. This may include invoices or receipts from your grandparents, as well as proof of payment.

It’s also a good idea to have a written agreement or contract outlining the terms of the care arrangement, including the agreed-upon rate and schedule.

Additionally, some FSA plans may require you to provide documentation proving that the care is necessary for you and your spouse to work or attend school. This can include employer letters, school schedules, or other supporting documents.

Be sure to review your specific FSA plan’s guidelines to ensure you have all the required paperwork.

Submit Claims and Get Reimbursed

Once you have collected all the necessary documentation, you can submit your FSA claims for grandparent care reimbursement. This typically involves filling out a claim form provided by your FSA administrator and attaching the required documentation.

Be sure to accurately complete the form and provide all the requested information to expedite the reimbursement process.

After submitting your claim, it may take some time for it to be processed. Once approved, the funds will be reimbursed to you according to your FSA plan’s guidelines. This can be in the form of a direct deposit, a check, or a reimbursement to your debit card.

Appeal Denied Claims

In some cases, your FSA claim for grandparent care reimbursement may be denied. This can happen if the documentation is incomplete, inaccurate, or if the expense does not meet the eligibility criteria set by your FSA plan. If your claim is denied, don’t panic!

You have the right to appeal the decision.

When appealing a denied claim, make sure to carefully review the denial letter or explanation provided by your FSA administrator. This will outline the specific reason for the denial. Gather any additional documentation or information that can support your claim and address the concerns raised by the administrator.

Submit a written appeal, including the supporting evidence, and follow up with the FSA administrator to ensure your appeal is being reviewed.

Remember, it’s always a good idea to consult with your FSA administrator or benefits provider if you have any questions or concerns about using your FSA for grandparent care reimbursement. They can provide you with specific guidance based on your FSA plan’s rules and regulations.

Other Ways to Pay Grandparents as Caregivers

While a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (FSA) cannot be used to directly pay grandparents for caregiving, there are alternative methods to compensate them for their support. Here are some other ways to consider:

Pay Using After-Tax Income

If you have the financial means, you can choose to pay your grandparents directly using after-tax income. This method allows you to compensate them for their caregiving services without any restrictions.

However, it’s important to keep in mind that payments made to grandparents may be subject to gift tax rules and regulations, so it’s advisable to consult with a tax professional to ensure compliance.

Explore State Tax Credits

Some states offer tax credits or deductions for individuals who pay for childcare or dependent care services. These credits can be used to offset the costs of paying grandparents as caregivers. It’s worth researching your state’s tax laws to see if you qualify for any benefits.

Additionally, you can check the official website of your state’s department of revenue for more information on available tax credits and deductions.

Use a Payroll Service

If you want to compensate your grandparents for their caregiving services in a more formal and organized manner, you could consider using a payroll service. These services can help you handle the necessary paperwork, such as issuing paychecks, calculating taxes, and generating W-2 forms.

By treating the arrangement as an official employment situation, you can ensure that all legal requirements are met and provide your grandparents with the financial support they deserve.

Remember, it’s crucial to ensure that any compensation arrangement complies with local and federal laws regarding employment and taxes. Consulting with a professional, such as an accountant or tax advisor, can help you navigate the complexities and make informed decisions.


Using your dependent care FSA to pay qualifying grandparents for childcare can provide valuable savings on your daycare costs. With proper documentation and eligibility, you may be able to be reimbursed for thousands per year in tax-free funds.

Be sure to consult with your FSA administrator to confirm your particular situation qualifies under IRS rules before moving forward. With smart planning, you can potentially offset a significant portion of your childcare expenses.

Sharing is caring!

Similar Posts