With audiobooks becoming increasingly popular, more people are wondering if Spotify offers them as part of its streaming service. If you’re short on time, here’s a quick answer to your question: No, Spotify does not currently include audiobooks with a regular Spotify subscription.
You have to pay extra for audiobooks on Spotify.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll explain everything you need to know about getting audiobooks through Spotify. We’ll cover Spotify’s audiobook offerings, pricing, availability, and how its audiobook service compares to competitors like Audible.
Spotify’s Audiobook Offerings
Spotify, the popular music streaming platform, has expanded its offerings to include audiobooks, providing users with even more diverse content to enjoy. With its vast library of music, podcasts, and now audiobooks, Spotify aims to cater to the diverse interests and preferences of its users.
What Audiobooks Are Available?
Spotify’s audiobook collection includes a wide range of genres, from classic literature to contemporary bestsellers. Users can find popular titles such as “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen, “To Kill a Mockingbird” by Harper Lee, and “The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho.
Additionally, Spotify features audiobooks in various languages, allowing users to explore literature from different cultures.
It’s important to note that while Spotify offers a decent selection of audiobooks, its library may not be as extensive as dedicated audiobook platforms. However, the convenience of having audiobooks alongside other forms of entertainment in one app makes Spotify an attractive option for those looking to diversify their listening experience.
How Do I Access Audiobooks on Spotify?
To access Spotify’s audiobook collection, users simply need to open the Spotify app on their preferred device and search for the desired title. Audiobooks can be found in the same way as music or podcasts, by using the search bar or exploring curated playlists and categories.
Users can also add audiobooks to their library, create playlists, and even download them for offline listening.
It’s worth mentioning that while some audiobooks on Spotify are free to listen to, others may require a premium subscription. However, the availability and pricing of audiobooks can vary depending on your location, so it’s always best to check the details for your specific region.
Which Devices Support Spotify Audiobooks?
Spotify’s audiobooks can be enjoyed on a wide range of devices, making it accessible to users across different platforms. Whether you prefer listening on your smartphone, tablet, computer, or even smart speakers, Spotify ensures compatibility with most popular devices and operating systems.
Users can download the Spotify app from their respective app stores, such as the Apple App Store or Google Play Store, to enjoy audiobooks on their mobile devices. For those who prefer listening on their computers, Spotify offers a desktop application that provides the same seamless experience.
It’s important to note that while Spotify is available on various devices, not all features may be available across all platforms. Some advanced features, such as offline listening, may be limited to certain devices or require a premium subscription.
How Much Do Audiobooks Cost on Spotify?
If you are a fan of audiobooks, you may be wondering if you have to pay for them on Spotify. Let’s explore the different options available and how much they cost.
Monthly Subscription Plan
One of the great things about Spotify is that it offers a vast library of audiobooks to its subscribers. With a monthly subscription plan, you gain access to a wide range of audiobooks without any additional cost. This means you can listen to your favorite titles without having to pay extra.
It’s a fantastic deal for avid audiobook listeners who want to enjoy their favorite stories on the go.
Single Title Purchases
While the subscription plan allows access to a vast library, there might be some titles that are not available through this service. In such cases, Spotify provides the option to purchase individual audiobooks. The prices for these titles can vary depending on the book and the publisher.
However, it’s important to note that this is an additional cost on top of the monthly subscription fee.
Free Trials and Introductory Offers
If you are new to Spotify, you may be eligible for a free trial or an introductory offer. These promotions allow you to explore the world of audiobooks on Spotify without any cost for a limited period.
It’s a great opportunity to test out the service and see if it suits your audiobook listening needs. Keep an eye out for these offers as they can save you money while still giving you access to a fantastic collection of audiobooks.
Comparing Spotify Audiobooks to Competitors
When it comes to audiobooks, Audible is one of the most popular platforms out there. With a vast collection of titles and a user-friendly interface, Audible has become the go-to choice for many audiobook lovers.
However, it is important to note that Audible operates on a subscription-based model, which means users have to pay a monthly fee to access their library of audiobooks. While the subscription fee may deter some users, it does come with benefits such as exclusive content and member discounts.
Apple Books, formerly known as iBooks, is another platform that offers a wide range of audiobooks for users to enjoy. Similar to Audible, Apple Books operates on a paid model, where users have to purchase individual audiobooks or subscribe to their Apple Books+ service for unlimited access.
While Apple Books may not have as extensive a library as Audible, it is still a popular choice among Apple users due to its seamless integration with Apple devices and the overall user experience it offers.
Google Play Books
Google Play Books is Google’s answer to the world of digital books and audiobooks. While it may not be as well-known as Audible or Apple Books, Google Play Books offers a decent selection of audiobooks for users to choose from.
Unlike its competitors, Google Play Books operates on a pay-per-book model rather than a subscription-based one. This means that users can purchase individual audiobooks without committing to a monthly fee.
Additionally, Google Play Books often offers discounts and promotions on various titles, making it a more cost-effective option for audiobook enthusiasts.
Kobo Audiobooks is a platform that specifically caters to audiobook lovers. With a vast collection of titles from various genres, Kobo Audiobooks offers users a diverse range of options to choose from.
Similar to Audible, Kobo Audiobooks operates on a subscription-based model, where users have to pay a monthly fee to access their library. However, Kobo also offers the option to purchase individual audiobooks if users prefer not to commit to a subscription.
With its user-friendly interface and competitive pricing, Kobo Audiobooks is gaining popularity among audiobook enthusiasts.
Pros and Cons of Using Spotify for Audiobooks
Benefits of Spotify Audiobooks
Spotify, primarily known for its extensive music library, has expanded its offerings to include audiobooks. Here are some benefits of using Spotify for audiobooks:
- Wide Selection: Spotify has a vast collection of audiobooks, ranging from classic literature to contemporary bestsellers. Users can explore various genres and discover new titles to enjoy.
- Convenience: With Spotify, users can access audiobooks anytime and anywhere, as long as they have an internet connection. This makes it convenient for people who prefer listening to books while commuting, exercising, or relaxing at home.
- Cost-effective: Unlike some other platforms that require a separate subscription or charge per audiobook, Spotify offers its audiobooks for free. Users can listen to their favorite titles without having to pay extra.
- User-Friendly Interface: Spotify’s interface is easy to navigate, making it simple for users to search for specific audiobooks or explore curated playlists. Additionally, the platform allows users to create personalized playlists for their favorite audiobooks.
- Integration with Music: Spotify seamlessly integrates audiobooks with its music library, allowing users to switch between listening to music and audiobooks without the need for multiple apps.
Drawbacks of Spotify Audiobooks
While Spotify offers many advantages for audiobook enthusiasts, there are a few drawbacks to consider:
- Limited Selection: Although Spotify has a wide range of audiobooks, its collection may not be as extensive as some dedicated audiobook platforms. Users may not find certain niche or less popular titles on Spotify.
- Ad Interruptions: Since Spotify offers free access to its audiobooks, users may encounter occasional advertisements during their listening experience. While ads help support the free service, they can disrupt the immersion of the audiobook.
- Internet Dependency: In order to stream audiobooks on Spotify, users need a stable internet connection. This can be a limitation for those in areas with poor connectivity or for those who prefer offline listening during travel.
- Lack of Advanced Features: Compared to dedicated audiobook platforms, Spotify may lack certain advanced features such as bookmarking, speed control, or synchronized text display. These features can enhance the listening experience for avid audiobook listeners.
Considering these pros and cons, it’s important for each individual to evaluate their specific needs and preferences when deciding whether to use Spotify for audiobooks. While it offers a convenient and cost-effective option, some users may prefer platforms that provide a more comprehensive audiobook experience.
To summarize, while Spotify does offer audiobooks, you have to pay extra for them – they are not included with a regular Spotify subscription. The selection of audiobooks on Spotify may be more limited than competitors like Audible.
However, Spotify audiobooks can be a convenient option for existing Spotify users who want to access audiobooks seamlessly in the same app.