You’re 18, and you want to put your skills to good use? If that’s the case, you’re probably considering a job in some industries offering jobs for 18-year-olds.
But you don’t want any job, you want a high paying job, one that pays more than $10 per hour. To achieve that, don’t hold yourself back, and don’t settle for less on account of your age. Be well aware of your talents, and skills, and pursue a high paying job suitable for your age. Maybe it seems that it’s out of your reach, but finding high paying jobs for 18 years olds may be easier than you think.
If you make the right career choice at 18, maybe the high paying job of your choice will become a high paying future career. Therefore, set your mind on one of the high paying jobs for 18-year-olds on our list, and in no time you’ll be an 18-year-old leading a lucrative life. Many industries and businesses offer jobs for 18-year-olds, to help them gain their first experience and a chance to prove themselves. So, there’ll be plenty of options to choose from!
Whether your goal is to earn money for college, gain future experience, or start your career as an 18-year-old, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve prepared a list of high paying jobs for 18-year-olds that’ll give you a head start in landing the job of your dreams.
11 High Paying Jobs for 18-Year-Olds
There are plenty of high paying jobs for 18-year-olds. You just have to find something you would enjoy doing and apply. Check out our list of high paying jobs for 18-year-olds, and find the one that suits you best!
- Video game designer- $90,270 average annual salary
- Software developer- $74,136 average annual salary
- Web designer- $62,310 average annual salary
- Freelance writer- $51,251 average annual salary
- Delivery driver- $46,200 average annual salary
- Fitness instructor- $44,152 average annual salary
- Electrician apprentice- $39,000 average annual salary
- Receptionist- $36,644 average annual salary
- Customer service representative- $35,830 average annual salary
- Personal assistant- $32,177 average annual salary
- Landscaper- $31,200 average annual salary
Before we go into details, bear in mind, that these high paying jobs can help you earn a living while you’re still in high school, ease your path to college, or even be a starting point for your own business. Wait no longer! Review the salaries, and job opportunities for each position on our list and start applying.
1. Video Game Designer
According to Career explorer, the average annual salary for a video game designer in the US is $90,270, while the salary range is between $47,350 and $172,094. Even though you’ll probably earn an average annual salary for a starting-level video game designer of $47,350, you should know what other future earnings await you if you decide to become a video game designer. For example:
- A top-level video game designer has an average annual salary of $172,094
- A senior-level video game designer has an average annual salary of $126,773
- A mid-level video game designer has an average annual salary of $90,270
- A junior-level video game designer has an average annual salary of $64,278
Your main task as a video game designer will be to:
- Help create video games for a company
- Code, draw, or design an idea for a video game on different platforms, such as PC or consoles (Xbox and PS4).
The best way to prepare for one of the high paying jobs for 18-year-olds is to take your design knowledge to a higher level. Try online courses, like LinkedIn learning for a better understanding of game development, and game engines like Unity3D and the Unreal Engine. Then, find an internship in a company where you’ll learn about game design and development, and where you’ll be able to use your skills in practice. If you got the creativity and skills become a video game designer and apply:
- Video game designer jobs on Indeed.com
- 4000+ game designer jobs on LinkedIn.com
- Game designer jobs on Ziprecruiter.com
2. Software Developer
According to Payscale’s research, the average annual salary of a software developer in the US is $74,136. As an 18-year-old you’ll probably have an entry-level software developer’s salary which is $64,836.
As you become more experienced the annual salary will increase. For example:
- With 1-4 years of experience, you’ll have an average annual salary of $71,723
- With 5-9 years of experience, you’ll have an average annual salary of $84,790
- With 10-19 years of experience, you’ll have an average annual salary of $95,505
- In your late career, you can expect to earn a salary of $100,169
Appealing numbers that’ll probably convince you to continue your career as a software developer even way past the age of 18. To be competitive in the labor market as an 18-year-old, it’s helpful to attend high-quality courses on web development and learn the very fundamental basics of:
- Becoming a web developer
3. Web Designer
As an 18-year-old you’ll probably start at an entry-level position with a salary of $48,749. The average annual web designer’s salary in the US is $62,310, equivalent to an hourly salary of $31.95.
Show your creativity to your future employers, and start designing and making money in one of the high paying jobs for 18-year-olds. For better employment chances it’s wise to widen your web designer’s knowledge through training and courses. If you’re pressed for time you can attend one of many online courses and study on your terms.
Once you become a web designer you should:
- Focus on the website’s visual elements
- Use online and offline web design software or create your toolkit by combining different software
- Develop, create, and code web pages
- Work closely with clients to provide the website’s technical and graphical features
- Maintain websites after completion
If web design is something you excel in, start applying! Here are some job prospects for you to consider:
- Web design freelance jobs on Upwork.com
- Web designer jobs on Glassdoor.com
- Web designer jobs on Ziprecruiter.com
4. Freelance Writer
According to Payscale’s research, the average hourly salary of a freelance writer is $24.64, equivalent to an average annual salary of $51,251.
As a beginner, you’re probably interested in the entry-level salary of a freelance writer. Freelance writers that fall into this category have less than one year of experience and have an hourly salary of $17.80. If you’re looking for a longer career in the freelance writing business you should be aware of the following data:
- Freelance writer with 1-4 years of experience has an average hourly salary of $21.75
- Freelance writer with 5-9 years of experience has an average hourly salary of $25.37
- An experienced freelance writer with 10-19 years of experience has an average hourly salary of $30.64
- Freelance writer with experience of 20 years and higher has an average hourly salary of $48
To make it in the freelance writing business and have one of the high paying jobs for 18-year-olds you’ll need to:
- Create editorial, promotion, marketing, and other written materials
- Be ready to work with supervisors and editors
- Match your writing with photographers, art or graphic designers, and fellow writers
- Have managerial skills and find your own assignments
- Pitch stories to publications
If you have the talent and writing skills, start earning as a freelance writer at the age of 18, and apply:
5. Delivery Driver
According to Salary.com the average annual salary of a delivery driver in the US is $46,200, while the annual average salary range is between $39,500 and $53,400.
To become a delivery driver, and have one of the high paying jobs for 18-year-olds, first and foremost you’ll need a valid driver’s license. Young drivers are in high demand, so you have a head start before the older drivers. Still, as an 18-year-old driver, you can’t drive a truck, for that, you have to be at least 21 years old to qualify. As a delivery driver you’ll have to:
- Receive and deliver products and tools
- Keep delivery records
- Follow efficient travel routes
Some companies, besides the driver’s license and driver’s skills, may require a high school diploma or its equivalent. If you love driving, and you’re punctual and well-organized you have the predisposition to work as a delivery driver at the age of 18. Here are some jobs openings for you to consider:
- Delivery driver jobs on Salary.com
- US Delivery driver jobs
- US Food delivery driver jobs
- Delivery driver jobs on Glassdoor.com
6. Fitness Instructor
As of August 29, 2022, the annual average fitness instructor salary in the US is $44,152, while the annual salary range is between $32,492 and $61,746.
If you want to pursue a fitness instructor’s career, and have one of the high paying jobs for 18-year-olds, be prepared to:
- Coordinate fitness programs
- Arrange and instruct exercise classes for all fitness levels
- Make sure all participants are well-trained and know how to use exercise equipment
- Keep the exercise area and equipment safe and clean
Most organizations set a minimum age for a fitness instructor at 18 years old and usually require you to have a high school diploma or GED. For the position of fitness instructor, the capability is more important than age.
If you’re determined to become a certified fitness instructor it’s wise to begin your certification studies before you turn 18. That way, you can pass the certification exam as soon as you turn 18 and increase your employment options. The certification programs are different, so make sure you choose the right one. Once you finish the certification process, the rest is easy. Do your best and start applying:
7. Electrician Apprentice
The average annual salary of an electrician apprentice in the US is $39,000, a calculation based on 6607 salaries, equivalent to an hourly salary of $20.
Being an 18-year-old you’ll probably start an entry-level position and earn an average annual salary of $34,125. As a comparison, the most experienced workers earn an average annual salary of $52,668.
The best route to becoming an electrician apprentice, it’s to participate in the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) apprenticeship program. Use the chance to obtain hands-on education with a mixture of on-the-job training and in-class lessons. You already fulfilled the first pre-condition to work as an electrician apprentice, because you’re 18 years old. The other conditions are:
- A High School Diploma or GED
- Driver’s license
- A passing grade for one credit of high school algebra
- A qualifying skill test score
Another quality apprentice program for you to consider is the FZ’s apprenticeship program designed for driven, and passionate people who have the skills and talent to succeed in the electrical industry. Every apprenticeship program takes time and dedication, but think about the benefits. You’ll start at the age of 18, and after a few years, you’ll have both a lucrative wage and a rewarding career. So, if you think you have the talent and skills to make in one of the high paying jobs for 18-year-olds, start applying:
The average annual salary of a receptionist in the United States is $36,644, while the salary range is from $32,675 to $41,380.
For one of the high paying jobs for 18-year-olds, you’ll need a high school diploma or equivalent. Once that’s settled check out the receptionist’s duties:
- Receive visitors and keep visitor logbook
- Manage the front desk of an organization
- Complete security procedures (issue badges or visitor passes)
- Conduct administrative activities
- Book meeting rooms, organize transportation, receive and send mail and packages
- Answer to internal and external inquiries
- Be prepared to report to a supervisor
- Work under the directions of senior personnel
Because receptionists need a high school diploma, you need to be at least 18 old to become one. It’s not mandatory, but it’s preferable to have some training in the field or additional certification. If you have great communication skills, know more than one language, and want to work closely with other members of the staff, then you have what it takes to become a receptionist. If you’re determined to work at the age of 18 as a receptionist, check out the following job opportunities:
9. Customer Service Representative
According to U.S. News, the average annual salary of a customer service representative in the US in 2020 was $35,830. That year the best-paid 25% had an average annual salary of $45,400, while the lowest-paid 25% had an average annual salary of $28,760.
Location-wise, the top 3 paying US cities for customer service representatives are:
- San Francisco, California, where customer service representatives earn an average annual salary of $49,930
- San Jose, California, where customer service representatives earn an average annual salary of $47,720
- Midland, Michigan, where customer service representatives earn an average annual salary of $47,250
Age-wise, the minimum age for a customer service representative is 16 years old. Still, many companies want their employees to be 18 years old. Also, they require their prospects to have a high-school diploma or GED to be hired. See, you’re eligible to have one of the high paying jobs for 18-year-olds and conduct the following tasks as a customer service representative:
- Be the client’s initial point of contact with a company
- Deal with arriving calls and customer service queries
- Attract new customers
- Identify and evaluate customer needs to achieve satisfaction
If you feel ready to become a customer service representative, start your journey and apply:
10. Personal Assistant
If you’re wondering how much a personal assistant earns in the US, here’s your answer. The average annual salary of a personal assistant is $32,177, equivalent to an hourly salary of $16.50. As an 18-year-old you’ll probably start at an entry-level position and earn an average annual salary of $25,351. If you decide to continue your career as a personal assistant after the age of 18, expect to earn an average annual salary of $68,233 once you become an experienced worker.
If you’re interested in the salary of a personal assistant in different regions in the US, check out the top 3 regions where the personal assistants have the highest salaries:
- New York, where the average annual salary of a personal assistant is $64,892
- New Jersey, where the average annual salary of a personal assistant is $48,750
- California, where the average annual salary of a personal assistant is $43,891
Now, when you’re familiar with the salary rates in one of the high paying jobs for 18-year-old, see if you’re prepared to take on the role of a personal assistant and:
- Deal with communication, e-mails, and phone calls on behalf of the manager
- Manage diaries and arrange meetings and appointments
- Book and organize travel, transportation, and accommodation
- Organize events and conferences
- Remind the executives of significant tasks and deadlines
- Conduct research, prepare reports, presentations, and correspondence
- Manage databases and filing systems
Do you think you’re up for the challenge? If you are, wait no longer and apply:
- Personal assistant jobs on Talent.com
- Personal assistant jobs on Indeed.com
- com jobs opportunities for a personal assistant
The average annual salary of a landscaper in the USA is $31,200, equivalent to an hourly salary of $16. As an 18-year-old landscaper, you’ll probably earn an entry-level position average annual salary of $27,299. Once you become more experienced you can expect to earn an annual salary of $39,000.
If you want to make money in one of the high paying jobs for 18-year-olds and work as a landscaper, check out the top 3 high paying regions in the US:
- Massachusetts, where the average annual salary of a landscaper is $37,050
- Minnesota, where the average annual salary of a landscaper is $37,050
- Washington, where the average annual salary of a landscaper is $35,100
If you love landscaping and want to be a successful landscaper, learn a couple of skills, and get familiar with the most commonly used landscaping tools. Learn how to pull weeds or trim a bush, and take landscaping classes to learn as much as you can. Once you know the know-how you can start your certification process, and be even more competitive in the labor market. Try finding customers, if necessary use the door-to-door method to find customers in your neighborhood. Or apply for one of the following jobs:
- Landscaper jobs on Talent.com
- Landscape worker jobs on Indeed.com
- Landscape worker jobs on Ziprecruiter.com
As you can see, many high paying opportunities await you at the age of 18. All you have to do is make the most of your talents and prove to your employers that you deserve one of these high paying jobs for 18-year-olds.
Finding a well-paid job at the age of 18 will give you time to plan your career path and save money for future education. Use your skill set to your advantage and start making money at the age of 18.
Whether you decide on a full-time or a part-time job, these high paying jobs for 18-year-olds are the key to building up your savings and your future success. Be persistent, take some extra courses to improve your skills, and climb up the ladder of achievement. Never stop learning and networking. Let the quality of your work do the talking, and one of these high paying jobs for 18-year-olds will surely be yours.