Diagnostic sonography is an essential part of medicine. If you desire to work on the early detection of deceases, then sonography is your calling. Sonography is a popular career choice and one in high demand, especially in Texas. According to Texas employment trends, sonographers are in high demand with projected employment growth of 29% in the next decade. So, if you’re trying to find a quality sonography program in Texas, and have great employment prospects, you’re in luck!
We’ve prepared a selection of accredited sonography programs on the territory of Texas for you to choose from. Find the best sonography program from our list, and start helping people by detecting and diagnosing potentially threatening diseases. Your personal and technical skills will be paramount as you observe the internal world of the human body, using high-frequency sound waves (ultrasound) to detect cancer, heart defects, arterial blockage, and much more.
Sonography programs are both demanding and rewarding. But if you’re determined to give a contribution to healthcare, and become a sonographer, take a closer look at our detailed list of accredited sonography programs in Texas, and start applying!
8 Sonography Programs in Texas
Before you start choosing one of the ultrasound technician schools in Texas, it’s important to know the accredited sonography programs in the area. Why accredited you might ask? Because it represents quality and shows that the program has undergone a thorough review from an outside agency. The best accreditation in sonography is issued by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). The accreditation is clear evidence of the quality of education that you’ll be receiving through your sonography program. Also, the accredited sonography programs ensure you are eligible for the ultrasound certification issued by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS).
Since we’ve got that covered, it’s time you check the list of accredited sonography programs in Texas, and find out what they have to offer:
1. Alvin Community College
Alvin Community College in Alvin, Texas, offers two quality options, to help you boost your career as a sonographer:
- A two-year program for an Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) with career prospects in three branches of diagnostic medical sonography: Adult echocardiography, pediatric or vascular sonography, as branches of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (DMS). For more information on the application process, you can see the latest Diagnostic Cardiovascular Sonography (DCVS) Application.
- A version of the A.A.S program called the Advanced Technical Certificate is offered to students who have an associate degree or higher in sonography from an accredited institution and possess a current registry with ARDMS or Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI). Students who are interested in this program must attend an admission session with the college and take the Ultrasound Student Assessment exam.
Apply for one of these programs and become:
- An Adult Cardiac Sonographer who performs ultrasound and other diagnostic exams of the heart and blood vessels surrounding the heart
- A Pediatric Cardiac Sonographer who performs ultrasound exams focusing on the heart’s blood vessels on children (age 1-18 years), infants (0-12 months), or fetuses (before birth)
- A Vascular Sonographer who performs ultrasound checks on blood vessels
If you like what you’ve read so far, and if you’re sympathetic, caring, and oriented on details, then choose this sonography program in Texas, and start saving lives!
2. Dallas College
Dallas College is renowned for its Diagnostic Medical Sonography program. The sonography program at Dallas College offers:
- An Associate of Applied Science Degree (A.A.S) in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, which is a 5-semester degree program for beginners in the field of medicine.
- An Advanced Technical Certificate, which is a 5-semester degree program for the more experienced students with an A.A.S degree or a B.S. degree with a science major.
If you’re interested in the first Sonography Degree Program you ought to:
- Fulfill Texas Success Initiative (TSI)standards and course criteria
- Complete at least 25% of the credit hours necessary for graduation through Dallas College’s education
If you’re after the second program for Advanced Technical Certificate make sure you include the following admission requirements:
- Information session
- Agreeable scores on pre-entrance assessment testing
- Rank ordering by grade point
- Fulfill all admission requirements
- Contact El Centro’s Assessment Center to sign up for the assessment test
- Contact Health Occupations Admissions to get an information packet
Both Diagnostic Medical Sonography programs will teach you how to become a professional medical sonographer. Once you graduate you’ll be ready to perform sonography examinations using ultrasound to envisage soft tissue structures, like the gall bladder, kidneys, pregnant uterus, and other organs. If this is something you see yourself doing, then this sonography program in Texas is the one for you!
3. El Paso Community College
El Paso Community College has two sonography programs for students to choose from:
- An Associate of Applied Science Degree (A.A.S) in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, a 6-semester degree program preparing students for a career in diagnostic ultrasound for different parts of the human body (abdomen, small parts, neurosonology (an ultrasound of the fetal brain), vascular, obstetrics and gynecology). Once you graduate, you’ll be eligible for the certification exam enabled by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS)
- An Advanced Technical Certificate (ATC) in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, another 6-semester degree program that helps students to gain the necessary knowledge and skills to perform complicated diagnostic ultrasound procedures using high-frequency sound waves in the same areas as the A.A.S program. Just like the previous sonography program, this one as well allows graduates to be eligible for the ARDMS certification.
Whether you decide to go for the first or second sonography program in Texas, one thing’s for sure, upon graduation you can have a successful career as a sonographer in the category of the abdomen, breast, musculoskeletal, pediatric sonography, obstetrics, gynecology, and vascular technology.
4. Del Mar College
Del Mar College, located in Corpus Christi, in the state of Texas offers the following accredited Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program:
- An Associate of Applied Science Degree (A.A.S) in Diagnostic Medical Sonography that prepares you to become a sonographer (ultrasound technologist) ready to provide patient services using diagnostic ultrasound (scan the patient and give adequate information to the physician for the best possible diagnosis)
To apply for this 5 semester’s Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program:
- Make sure you meet the application deadline: Each year it’s on December 1
- Be qualified for admission to Del Mar College.
- Provide official copies of college transcripts to the Registrar’s Office and the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program Office
- Complete a Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program Application
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.5.
- Provide relevant copies of degrees, certificates, or registries in the field of health care
- Complete all requirements by the end of the Del Mar College Fall semester
- If accepted to the program, you’ll receive a written notification
- You must have finished a Certified Nurse Aid (CNA) certificate program or show evidence of exemption
If this sonography program in Texas meets your expectations, don’t hesitate to apply. Complete the requirements and expect the acceptance program notification by April 1.
5. Midland College
At Midland College you can apply for:
- The Associate of Applied Science Sonography degree program, a 5-semester degree program with a requirement of 61 total semester credit hours that prepares students to use ultrasound for the assessment and diagnosis of different diseases in different body areas (vascular, obstetrics, gynecology, urology, and abdominal)
If you choose this particular sonography program in Texas, you need to check out the following program requirements:
- Start the application process by using Midland College Application & Enrollment Info
- Fill in the sonography program application form, and the criminal history background form: Health Sciences General Application
- Achieve admission criteria: Sonography Admission/Information Packet (pdf)
- Meet the requirements for Texas Success Initiative
- Take the ATI Test of Essential Academic Skills (ATI TEAS) and achieve a minimum level of proficiency: MC Testing Services
- Complete the necessary immunizations
- Finish the courses of Physical Science I, College Physics I, Anatomy and Physiology I, College Algebra, Composition I, and Fundamentals of Medical Terminology, with a minimum grade of “C”
Once you obtain your A.A.S in sonography at Midland College you’ll be ready to work in entry-level positions in hospitals and other health care institutions. According to the 2019-2022 program outcomes, the job placement for sonographers from Midland College is astounding 100%. Join the Midland College family and become a sonographer with great prospects.
6. Lamar Institute of Technology
Lamar Institute of Technology helps you to earn the following degrees and certificates:
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography Degree Program – Associate of Applied Science
- Diagnostic Medical Sonography – Advanced Technical Certificate
- Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography Degree Program – Associate of Applied Science
- Diagnostic Cardiac Sonography – Advanced Technical Certificate
If you’re interested in applying for one of these sonography programs in Texas, you need to:
- Check out the application requirements
- Maintain a minimum of a 2.5 GPA during the entire program.
- Meet the application deadline on April 1
The program’s admission process is based on academic success. If you are one of the selected students for the program you will begin classes in the Summer I Semester. When you finish the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program and the Advanced Certificate in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, you will be qualified to take the exam for the ARDMS certification in two specialty areas: Abdomen and Obstetrics/Gynecology (OB/GYN). The advanced certificate’s goal is to allow health care professionals an opportunity to learn how to become medical sonographers and to perform diagnostic ultrasounds to diagnose fetal abnormalities, inherited disorders, cancers, benign tumors, and other diseases and disorders.
7. Angelina College
Applicants for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program at Angelina College should meet the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program Admission Point Value System. Points are established on cumulative GPA, sonography lab hours, an interview, and bonus points for applicants who already hold a degree.
If you like this sonography program in Texas, and you want to apply you need to fulfill these admission criteria:
- Complete the Texas Success Initiative (TSI)
- Participate in a compulsory sonography program information session
- Submit program application
- Completed physical health form
- Receive mandatory immunizations according to Texas Department of State Health Services requirements
- No later than July 15th, provide evidence of current 2-year American Heart Association CPR card (for all health care workers)
- Submit official college transcripts within the application packet.
- Finish all necessary courses with a grade of “C” or better before the assigned date
Once you complete the program, you’ll obtain an Associate of Applied Science Degree and meet the conditions set by the American Registry for Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) you’ll be ready to apply for their licensure exam. Angelina College cooperates with nearby hospitals for practice and offers a balance between didactical and technical courses for student’s educational development and clinical competence.
8. Parker University
The accredited sonography program at Parker University offers you the possibility to study in small classes managed by devoted professionals, who show you how to understand the diagnostic technique and how to tackle serious sonography issues. If you choose this sonography program in Texas, you’ll receive a thorough education, real experience, and quality teaching based on research, to help you boost your career in this growing and competitive industry.
For the Associate of Applied Science with a major in Diagnostic Sonography Program you have to fulfill the following admissions requirements:
- Meet the application deadline on July 1st
- Successfully complete all general education courses with a grade of “C” or better, and a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale to advance to the professional phase of the program
- Pass the admission examination (for students offered an interview)
- Pass criminal background screening (satisfactory level 3)
- Submit proof for a completed health discipline which needs licensure
- Written essay about the reasons you chose a career in Diagnostic Sonography
If Parker University’s sonography program meets your interests and expectations, start preparing the necessary documentation for a successful application. Become a sonographer with exceptional academic and clinical knowledge competitive in the ultrasound employment field.
As you can see, there are plenty of accredited sonography programs in Texas to choose from. All you have to do is pick the best program that provides an advanced curriculum enabling you to approach your future career with confidence and competence.
The accredited sonography programs on our list, the Associate of Applied Science Degrees (A.A.S) in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, and the Advanced Technical Certificates will help you reach your fullest potential and be competitive in the labor market. Therefore, wait no longer! Become a successful sonographer in Texas with the possibility to earn an average annual salary of $77,740 (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics). Not bad, not bad at all!